Articles on this Page
- 08/30/13--12:01: _Game of Thrones Top...
- 08/30/13--12:19: _King Mohammed VI ad...
- 08/31/13--07:46: _Princess Lalla Salm...
- 09/02/13--13:25: _UK, Morocco Sign Fi...
- 09/02/13--14:35: _Culture: Discoverin...
- 09/02/13--16:30: _Jews in Morocco cel...
- 09/03/13--14:27: _After fasting at Ra...
- 09/04/13--07:39: _(VIDEO) “In Morocco...
- 09/04/13--12:36: _The Democrat – Afri...
- 09/05/13--12:18: _Morocco: L’ONMT Unv...
- 09/06/13--07:31: _Marrakech Scores Sc...
- 09/06/13--14:50: _Morocco report call...
- 09/06/13--16:36: _A Princess Visits M...
- 09/07/13--15:44: _Morocco, Malikis an...
- 09/09/13--16:44: _Morocco’s Rabat-Sal...
- 09/13/13--13:50: _A Most Delightful M...
- 09/13/13--16:23: _Chipperfield to des...
- 09/13/13--17:28: _Maintaining Momentu...
- 09/15/13--13:46: _Nebraska native gai...
- 09/15/13--14:55: _Burqini Ruling: Cou...
- 09/02/13--13:25: UK, Morocco Sign Film Co-Production Treaty – Hollywood Reporter
- 09/02/13--14:35: Culture: Discovering the magic of Morocco – St. Paul Pioneer Press
- 09/02/13--16:30: Jews in Morocco celebrate life of Rabbi Haim Pinto – JTA
- 09/04/13--07:39: (VIDEO) “In Morocco – 2013″– Vincent Urban
- 09/04/13--12:36: The Democrat – Afrik-News, Commentary by Nabil Ouchagour
- 09/05/13--12:18: Morocco: L’ONMT Unveils New Strategy to Boost Tourism – CRI Online
- 09/06/13--07:31: Marrakech Scores Scorsese for Film Fest – Variety
- 09/06/13--16:36: A Princess Visits Morocco – The View from Fez
- 09/07/13--15:44: Morocco, Malikis and Me – BBC Heart & Soul
- 09/13/13--13:50: A Most Delightful Map – National Public Radio, Robert Krulwich
- 09/13/13--17:28: Maintaining Momentum on Education Reform in Morocco – The World Bank
International Business Times (August 30, 2013) — Just like the huge success of Lord of the Rings with its picturesque locations and magical backdrops, Game of Thrones is taking its epic series to extreme landscapes and breathtaking cities in the world. The whole HBO production is based in Northern Ireland where the first two […]
gneufferFamous for its prominent Kasbahs and buildings, the magical city of Ouarzazate in Morocco magical place is where many scenes of Daenerys Targaryen was filmed, including gathering her army after lending her dragon to a not-so-friendly.Famous for its prominent Kasbahs and buildings, this magical place is where many scenes of Daenerys Targaryen was filmed. The city is the perfect setting for movies such as Troy, Lawrence of Arabia, The Last Temptation of Christ and Gladiator.Daenerys Targaryen’s travels to Astapor were filmed in historic coastal town of Essaouira, Morocco. Image by Lukas Vermeer Atlas of WondersThis magnificent Castle garden is where the court maidens of King’s Landing weave their plots. IBTThanks to its frozen landscape, glacial regions and wintry climates, Iceland is the perfect place to film the scenes Behind the Wall. This stunning location is truly a cinematographer’s dream as it features the iconic “North of the Wall” where the series’ “Wildlings” roam. It also features mysterious landscapes with scattered hot springs and unusual lava rock formations.A location so beautiful that most people will not believe that it is real. This geothermal cave features a burning bath with water at 40-60°C (100-140°F). This location is also near where the “Wildlings” crossed to reach the “Wall.”
* Underscores Morocco’s ”spiritual bonds & strategic interests” in Africa, “solidarity” with Arab nations, strengthening ties in Europe, elsewhere, and desire to “consolidate our strategic partnership” with the US. * Maghreb Arab Press (Rabat, Morocco, August 30, 2013) — HM King Mohammed VI addressed, Friday in Rabat, a message to the opening session of […]
gneufferKing Mohammed VI calls on envoys to advance Morocco's "active, responsible" role in international community, and model of openness, tolerance, & reforms. MAP
* “Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco is one of the most fantastic princesses around the world. She combines style and intelligence. Read about her life and achievements.” * Yareah Magazine (August 31, 2013) — Some days ago, we published an article about prettiest princesses in the world. Some readers have said to us why didn’t […]
gneufferPhoto Attribution Alexis.Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco
* The pact will give filmmakers from the two countries access to tax incentives in both territories. * The Hollywood Reporter, by Stuart Kemp (London, England, September 2, 2013) — The UK and Moroccan governments have signed a co-production treaty to allow the two countries to “strengthen ties within the film industry, encourage the sharing […]
gneufferBritish director Christopher Nolan shot parts of "Inception" in Morocco. Warner Bros. Pictureslogo-2011-11-17
St. Paul Pioneer Press, by Renee Valois (Fez, Morocco, August 31, 2013) — If you’ve ever wished you could step into the pages of “The Arabian Nights,” there’s one place you must experience. Fez, Morocco, is the largest, most-well-preserved medieval city in the world. A labyrinth of more than 9,500 winding, narrow streets are […]
gneufferStorks nest atop 2,000-year-old columns in the partially excavated Roman town of Volubilis, Morocco. (Photo by Renee Valois) Surrounded by colorful mounds and wares, a spice merchant satisfies cravings from Moroccan coffee beans to fresh saffron. (Photo by Renee Valois)A powdered-sugar-sprinkled pasty packed with chicken, nuts, vegetables and golden spices was surprisingly delicious. (Photo by Renee Valois)A powdered-sugar-sprinkled pasty packed with chicken, nuts, vegetables and golden spices was surprisingly delicious. (Photo by Renee Valois)In Fez, you can find all kinds of marvelous things in the shops of the medina. Come prepared to bargain. (Photo by Renee Valois)
*“Annual four-day event attracts nearly 1,500 pilgrims”* The Times of Israel, by JTA (September 2, 2013) — Hundreds of Jewish pilgrims visited Morocco to pray on the grave of Rabbi Haim Pinto on the anniversary of his death. The annual, four-day celebration, or Hiloula, of Pinto’s legacy, which ended Sunday, attracted nearly 1,500 pilgrims to […]
gneufferRabbi Haim Pinto. Photo credit: public domain
Rocky Mountain Collegian, by Brooke Lake, editorial columnist (September 3, 2013) — While studying abroad in Meknes, Morocco this past summer my favorite Arabic word came to be ‘iftar.’ I can remember whispering this word to myself over and over again while squished in the backseat of a taxi in the sweltering African heat between […]
gneufferBrooke Lake, editorial columnist
* Watch Video: “In Morocco – 2013” * Tumblr, by Vincent Urban (September 3, 2013) — ”Early 2013, we had a little ride with our Land Rover once again. A shorter trip this time, we tried to discover most of Morocco‘s versatile landscapes in just 3 weeks, from the Coast to the forest regions […]
gneufferIn Morocco - 2013. Click photo to watch video.
Afrik News, Commentary by Nabil Ouchagour (September 4, 2013) — As Mubarak was going back home, the world is watching for an intervention in Syria, and Libya is living a chaos. One cannot stop asking himself “was (what we call) Arab Spring worth all human lives that we’ve lost? Was it worth this violence? […]
(Article in French) CRI online (September 5, 2013) — The Moroccan National Tourist Office (ONMT) announced Wednesday in Casablanca the new strategy to boost the Moroccan tourism sector as part of Vision 2020, reported the news agency MAP. The Agency announced a profound change in its mode of operation to adapt to the new requirements […]
* American Directing Legend To Preside Over Marrakech Jury * Variety, by Elsa Keslassy (September 6, 2013) — Martin Scorsese has been tapped Jury president for the 13th edition of the Marrakech International Film Festival, Nov. 29 – Dec. 7. Succeeding John Boorman, Scorsese will serve as jury prexy of the feature film competition, whose […]
gneufferAmerican Film Directing Legend Martin Scorcese Set To Preside Over Jury for this year's Marrakech International Film Festival, Nov. 29 - Dec. 7,
Magharebia, by Siham Ali (Rabat, Morocco, September 6, 2013) – More needs to be done for young people in Morocco, a new government report release this week confirmed. The country also needs to pay particular attention to the competitiveness of the national economy to face current constraints and international challenges and to improve investment opportunities […]
gneufferMoroccan youths walk by electoral ads in Rabat. AFP/Abdelhak SennaNizar Baraka, head of Morocco's CESE
The View From Fez (September 6, 2013) — The Crown Princess of Denmark is on a three day visit to Rabat in Morocco. Mary (née Donaldson) was born on the 5th of February 1972 in Hobart, Australia. She is the wife of Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark. Frederik is the heir apparent to the throne […]
gneufferDuring her trip to Morocco, Princess Mary of Denmark focused on the issue of gender equality, visiting the LDDF Girls' Centre in Rabat which supports victims of gender-based violence. The View from FezPrincess Mary of DenmarkPrincess Mary of Denmark
*Click here to listen to 29 minute BBC radio program* BBC World Service, Andrew Hussey for Heart and Soul (Tetouan, Morocco, September 7, 2013) — Historian Andrew Hussey has been travelling to North Africa for 30 years and has learnt to love the rich cultural and religious diversity of countries such as Tunisia, Egypt and […]
gneufferHistorian Andrew Hussey discusses Malikism as a binding force in modern Morocco’s moderate practice of Islam — on BBC World Service’s Heart & Soul radio program.
Aga Khan Award for Architecture and Green Prophet, by Tafline Laylin (September 8, 2013) — President of Portugal Aníbal Cavaco Silva and the Aga Khan presented this year’s Aga Khan Awards for Architecture at the Castle of São Jorge in Lisbon on Friday. The agencies of the awards are private, international, non-denominational development organizations. They work to improve […]
gneufferThe Master Jury for the Aga Khan Award called Morocco’s Rabat-Salé urban infrastructure project “a sophisticated and cohesive model for future infrastructure projects, especially in places of rapid urbanization.” Green Prophet
*“Think about this: You wake up in New York City, decide to go for a stroll, head east after breakfast, & a short time later, still on foot, you find yourself in Morocco. 300 M years ago, you could have done that!”* National Public Radio/NPR, by Robert Krulwich, Krulwich Wonders (Washington, DC, September […]
gneufferPangea Political Map. Courtesy of Massimo Pietrobon Pangea Political Map. Courtesy of Massimo PietrobonCourtesy of Massimo PietrobonCourtesy of Massimo PietrobonCourtesy of Massimo PietrobonIran - Courtesy of Massimo PietrobonCourtesy of Massimo Pietrobon
DeZeen Magazine (September 13, 2013) — The world’s largest free-standing museum dedicated to photography is set to be built in Morocco by British firm David Chipperfield Architects. The Marrakech Museum for Photography and Visual Art (MMPVA) by David Chipperfield Architects will showcase a permanent collection of lens-based art and photography from the nineteenth century […]
gneufferThe Marrakech Museum for Photography and Visual Art (MMPVA) wll be the world's largest free-standing museum dedicated to photography. DeZeen Magazine
* A series of government programs have been launched to boost school attendance, improve the quality of teaching, and reform the way in which the education sector is governed; the World Bank has provided financial and technical support for the ongoing reform program * The World Bank (Washington, DC, September 11, 2013) — The […]
gneufferMorocco has achieved impressive progress in primary school enrollment rates but still fall short on quality and faces gender and regional disparities at secondary level and beyond. In lower secondary education, the net enrollment rate is 79 percent for boys in urban areas but only 26 percent for girls in rural areas. Photo: Arne Hoel l World Bank 2012
* Nebraskan Ashlee Nuss taught fourth-grade students for two years in Casablanca, Morocco, where she found the culture “very welcoming.” * Omaha World-Herald, by Amy Schweitzer (Grand Island, Nebraska, September 15, 2013) — Ashlee Nuss has an idea of what immigrant students may be experiencing. The Wasmer Elementary first-grade teacher spent two years in Africa […]
gneufferAshley Nuss, a first-grade teacher at Wasmer Elementary in Grand Island, reads to her students earlier this month. She said the kids haven’t grasped how far away she was when she taught in Casablanca, Morocco, for two years. Matt Dixon/World-Herald News Service Ashlee Nuss
*Parents of girl, who went to school in Morocco until she was eight, sought to exempt her from co-ed swimming class at university-track high school in Frankfurt, Germany* ABC News, Spiegel Online (September 15, 2013) — Germany’s top federal administrative court has ruled that schools can require Muslim girls to participate in co-ed swimming […]
gneufferIslamic swimsuit known as a "Burqini" by Muslim fashion designer at Islamic Sport & Swimwear shop in Australia. Anoek De Groot/AFP/Getty